Overland Vehicle and Tourist support regarding entering & leaving Aqaba, Jordan:
- We recommend this Jordanian Ferry Service:
- AB Maritime Ferry Service
- They deliver a “fast” and “slow” Ferry Passage.
- Their ferry service is from Aqaba to Nuweiba Egypt, making it possible to complete an East Africa route.
- There are numerous Agents selling Ferry tickets.
Things to Know, Have, Need to do:
Entering Jordan, Eilat to Aqaba (driving in)
- No Motor Bikes allowed!!
- 35JD’s per car license, and another 40-50JD’s in customs and other simple visa charges. It cost us around 160JD’s for two 4×4’s.
- South African Visa’s are for Free!
Access to Jordan – Petra, Wadi Rum etc. A great travel secret, a fast ferry from Aqaba to (Nuweiba); Egypt accepts 4×4 cars through this port of entry. Note Taba crossing into Egypt rejects 4X4’s on admission, which happened to us and make sure you have your Carnet and Visa (from Eilat consulate) before you reach the border crossing.
Leaving Jordan, Aqaba to Nuweiba Car Ferry Service:
- 205Euro’s for customs and taxes (10JD’s/person departure tax and 25JD/car departure taxes)
- 235US/4×4 vehicle on the fast ferry Aqaba to Nuweiba
- 75US/person on the fast ferry Aqaba to Nuweiba. the company is called AB Maritime and you’ll need to book with one of their agents in Aqaba.
- The slow boat is cheaper than the fast ferry, but for an extra $10 is worth taking the fast ferry so you get into Nuweiba in the evening.
- There are some good reason arriving in the evening, one is the security checks are easier than during the light of day!